Fundamentals of Character Design: How to create engaging characters for illustration, animation & visual development
Why do the characters in our favorite books, animations, and games stay with us long after the final scene? The heroic protagonist, evil villain, comedic sidekick - even the supporting cast – have been crafted by clever character designers with incredible skills at their fingertips. This comprehensive character-design toolkit, written by industry professionals, includes everything you need to design successful and compelling characters.
What is it about the characters we see in our favorite books, animated films, and games that make us laugh, cry, and respond to them? How do character designers develop ideas that are unique, memorable, and captivate us as an audience? This book answers these questions and more, taking a comprehensive, visual, and analytical approach to discover just what it is that makes a character appealing. Understand key principles like shape language, proportion, and exaggeration, and learn from talented professionals who share industry secrets for getting the most out of anatomy, gesture, expression, and costume. Uncover ways to convey relationships and interaction between multiple characters, and how narrative fuels authentic and engaging characterization.
With hundreds of lively illustrations to inspire and study, and tricks of the trade from celebrated artists, this thorough and insightful volume is an essential library addition for anyone interested in character design.
• Understand the role of the character designer and how they help to tell a story
• Embark on targeted research and ideation to establish your character right from the start
• Master and implement key character-design principles with guidance by industry experts
• Explore extensive reference libraries packed with inspiration for poses, expressions, costumes, and props
• Create multiple characters who interact to capture special story moments with a series of case-studies
• Infuse your creations with the unique, memorable characteristics that engage and enchant an audience
Softback 312 pages
Dimensions: 297mm x 225mm
Paper quality: Full-color premium paper pages
How to use this book
What is character design?
Research & ideation
Key design principles
Pose, movement & gesture
Putting it all together
Working with multiple characters
Working in character design