Every monster, alien, and fantasy beast seen on screen and in games emerges from the imaginations of talented concept artists. This book unlocks that world to reveal the must-have skills behind creating compelling creatures. From applying knowledge of anatomy and evolution, to establishing clever workflows, everything you need is in this comprehensive creature-design toolkit.
Creating engaging and believable creature designs is an exciting yet challenging feat. The monsters, aliens, and fantasy beasts that grace our TV and cinema screens represent the hard work and dedication of a team of incredibly talented concept artists and designers.
Contributors include concept artists who have worked on the Marvel films and for the highly revered Weta Workshop (The Lord of the Rings film trilogy) and Aaron Sims Company (Stranger Things).
• Begin your workflow with targeted research and ideation, guided by industry professionals
• Understand the functionality of real-world anatomy and its role in creating truly believable new species
• Discover how the fascinating processes of evolution and biological adaptation are the key to authentic results
• Breathe life into your creatures by establishing their unique mix of habitat, social behavior, diet, and even life cycle
• Apply key design principles such as contrast, scale, and shape language to infuse your creations with dynamic impact
• Eight detailed case studies featuring step-by-step artwork and industry advice by professional concept artists
Softback 288 pages
Dimensions: 297mm x 225mm
Paper quality: Full-color premium paper pages
HOW TO USE THIS BOOK
RESEARCH & IMAGINATION
FUNCTIONALITY & ADAPTATION
Biodiversity: the variety of life
Why is anatomy important?
GENERAL DESIGN PRINCIPLES
An artist’s blueprint
Scale & perspective
CREATURE DESIGN IN THE INDUSTRY
Designing for execution & budget
Creatures that are characters
Designing for genre
Designing for clients
Post-apocalyptic swamp fish